Here is a very comprehensive Instructable from fgebhart about building a smart IoT alarm clock using Pi Zero that has some really nice features such as text-to-speech synthesizer, multiple wake-up sounds (such as MP3 songs, your favorite internet radio station, or news channel), alphanumeric LED segment displays with auto intensity adjustment, and more.
- text to speech synthesizer
- three ways of wake-up sound:
- play local mp3 files
- play internet radio station and
- play latest news as podcast (independent to the alarm time)
- set alarm via smartphone or any other computer
- running apache2 server
- automatic display brightness adjustment
- audio amplifier volume control
- 3D-printalbe case
- case built-in tactile switch
- alphanumeric display shows text
- 3W speaker definitely wakes you up
- … whatever you want to add …
In order to complete this project you need to set up a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian (Lite), the Debian version of Raspberry Pi. Sure you might use different Raspberry Pis and a different OS, but therefore you might need to modify your system somewhat. For example if you want to use Raspberry Pi 3 you don’t have to buy and use an additional WiFi-stick, might just use the on-board audio output, but might not be able to use the given 3D-printable case. So by changing some parts of this project you got to keep in mind that this instruction is based on using Raspberry Pi Zero.